Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Shanghai: a History in Photographs, 1842 - Today

Today, same as usual, I slept too late and got up mid-day. I have to regulate my life and my sleep in particular. Anyway, I don’t intend to write my complaints in this post, instead I want to give you good news if you are interested in China, Shanghai or at least Photography.
This mid-day, after getting up, I have seen that the weather was extremely hot and damp. I didn’t feel to do something, so I just sat on couch and switch on the tv and zapping channels. Telling the truth, I hate to watch tv but sometimes news, documentary movies and discussion programs are better if you watch them on tv in place of watching online.
I opened CCTV9 (Chinese international channel and broadcasts in English) and watched sports news. Chinese people don’t like football very much, so you can see many kind of sport news on tv, many kind of sports which I don’t even heard before. I was about to switch off while I saw the face of Yang Rui – the anchor man of the Dialogue-. After news finished, Dialogue has started. It was mid-day and I didn’t expect that. I didn’t expect to see the face of Yand Rui at that time. It was really dialogue, my favorite programme on tv. By the way, Dialogue is one the best discussion program on CCTV9 and I really don’t want to miss it. It takes only half an hour and discusses various topics with various people from different countries and fields.
Today’s topic was a book on Shanghai. The name of the book is ‘Shanghai: a history in photographs’. It handled the history of Shanghai in photos from 1942 to nowadays. There are many selected photos related with Shanghai.
If you have this book, you can see the development and changing face of Shanghai clearly. It was a fishing village one hundred years ago but today it is one of the biggest and most important city in the World. Today, millions of people rush into China in order to see Expo in Shanghai.
Shanghai is already the biggest city which attracted domestic and foreign tourists. Millions of people visit Shanghai every year.
Can you imagine it? From where to where? Yeah, you won’t believe your eyes after seeing the photos. It is really unbelievable.
Another point I want to mention here is the price of the book. It is really a bit expensive. I checked some photos from book on the net but I want to see all the pieces, so I must have the book. I have to find a way to buy it. ;) I asked my friend to get for me in Shanghai but as he said, he couldn’t find it in the biggest bookshop in Shanghai. I will buy it online, from amazon.com. no way! But I don’t know if I need a credit card for buying something online on amazon. Anybody knows? I don’t have a credit card, so I don’t know if I can buy the book online. A friend bought a Nikon Dslr camera from amazon and as he said he paid the fee at the door. so I think I can try the same way. Online shopping is so popular today but I still don’t trust online shopping so much. I don’t know, I may not true to treat so but I can’t help it. I will accustom myself to the online shopping at once. It is easier and better. There are two books in my basket now. I will order both as soon as possible, coz I need these both books. Don’t forget to have ‘Deng Xiaoping: Leader in a Changing China’ and check. As I said, you will like it so much. Ah, don’t forget the price as well, as I mentioned in previous paragraphs, the price is a bit expensive. But the book is woth it. It contains thousands of pieces of photos, so it is a big and heavy book like a volume of an encyclopaedia. You can see the details about the book by clicking the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment